Cold storage warehousing is a good option for businesses dealing with perishable products. However, few companies are familiar with this storage solution because they don’t understand how it can help them. One is to prevent your items from rotting, spoiling, and being attacked by insects. If you want to prolong the life span of your products, using cold-chain warehousing may be right for you as it can help your business in the following ways:
1. Save On Building Storage Expenses
Generally, cold storage can be costly as its expense is three times the price of building traditional warehouses. You need to consider the cost of maintenance, labor, software, internal equipment, construction, and design of the cold warehouse. Even converting a conventional warehouse into a cold storage warehouse could be just as expensive.
This expense may be out of your budget if you’re a startup. However, you can still use cold storage warehousing by outsourcing or renting from trusted companies, such as Minus 1 and others. This option is much more affordable than building your cold storage.
2. Enjoy Refrigerated Shipping
There may be times when warehousing isn’t the only service you need from cold storage warehousing companies. You may also need refrigerated shipping, and this service is available in most of these companies. This additional service will safely transport your goods to and from your business establishment.
Moreover, you won’t have to worry about the following essentials when transporting your goods because they already have them:
- Proper Labeling: They can use highly visible labels to draw attention to your packages. Typically, they’ll use stickers with red backgrounds and white lettering, perfect for having a high-contrast design. They can use such to label your goods with ‘Keep Refrigerated,’ which would mean that they’d be transported in a refrigerated shipping container as well.
- Custom Storage Boxes: Such packaging is essential to keep products in their best condition. They may also need to use custom shipping boxes that require climate-controlled facilities.
3. Preserve Quality Of Goods
Cold storage warehousing isn’t only for foods. All kinds of businesses can use such storage solutions to ensure that their products will be in their prime condition. If your company has the following products, then consider cold storage warehousing:
- Medicine: Medicines have to be kept cold so they won’t be contaminated. This includes other medical supplies or blood samples that may be required for later testing but must be preserved in the meantime.
- Cologne: While you can keep perfumes at room temperature, cologne is different. If kept in cold storage, the scent of cologne can last for a more extended time.
- Lipstick: This product can stay in better condition and last longer when stored in cold storage, which is true for many other cosmetics.
- Plants: You can keep plants from withering by keeping them in a cold storage warehouse. This includes cut flowers for a bouquet as the cold temperature keeps them healthy and fresh. You can also keep seeds last longer by placing them in a moistureproof container in a cold storage warehouse.
- Candles: Storing candles in a regular warehouse facility may be okay when you live in a cold place. However, living in warm areas could destroy the shapes and colors of the candles as they may melt when the temperature warms up. Thus, if you need to keep them longer than a few days, storing them in a typical warehouse facility may not be recommended. The best option is to go for a cold storage warehouse to preserve the candles’ design and color.
4. Free Up Space
Your operation may be affected if you don’t have enough space in your business establishment. Although coolers can keep your food items preserved, they’d take up much space. When this happens, your staff requiring space for preparing or cooking food may not have sufficient space to work around. With cold storage warehousing, you can free up space that can be better utilized for cooking and preparation.
Additionally, catering to a broader customer base can be challenging for a growing business. Hence, you also need to maintain your warehouse. This task could take time and effort, so it may be best to go for cold storage warehousing. It can help you with such a need if growth requires you to ship more products but you’re pressed for time.
Your business may not have a large property or space to store perishable products, but this shouldn’t hinder your operation. With cold storage warehousing, you can have more room for daily operations while keeping your goods in climate-controlled facilities. Therefore, you won’t risk contaminating your products or lowering their quality due to a lack of cold storage warehouse.
Author’s Bio: Brian Tucker is a business consultant and entrepreneur. He is also an author and writer for business publications. Outside work, Brian spends his time playing golf.