There is a connection between your overall health and your oral health. Certain harmless bacteria prefer to live in various parts of your mouth, such as the cheek, teeth, or tongue. Nevertheless, you should always keep your mouth clean as it is the entry point to the respiratory and digestive tracts. Usually, good oral hygiene and your body’s natural defenses can keep these bacteria under control. Without proper oral hygiene such as flossing and daily brushing, the bacteria could reach levels that may cause oral infections such as gum disease and tooth decay.
Additionally, certain medications like antidepressants, diuretics, painkillers, antihistamines, and decongestants could reduce your saliva flow. However, saliva is necessary to neutralize the acids formed by the bacteria in your mouth. The saliva reduction makes it easier for microbes to multiply in your mouth and cause diseases. To avoid this and maintain your oral health, you can take advantage of the affordable dental treatments offered by DentalX Clinic.
How To Protect Your Oral Health?
The following practices can help you maintain your oral hygiene:
- Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth daily.
- Using a mouthwash can help you remove the food particles left in your mouth after flossing and brushing.
- Have a healthy diet and try to avoid food containing added sugars.
- Change the brush after every three months. Replace the toothbrush if its bristles get worn or splayed.
- Avoid using tobacco.
- Schedule routine dental cleanings and appointments.
If you are facing dental issues, the following dental treatments could help you:
Deep Teeth Cleaning
Deep teeth cleaning could improve your gum health and reduce gum inflammation by removing the tartar and plaque buildup on your teeth.
Saliva mixes with food particles to form a sticky, bacterial film on your teeth called plaque. Brushing your teeth twice daily will remove the plaque that deposits on your teeth. However, you may not be able to remove the plaque in between the teeth by brushing. The leftover plaque can harden or calcify to form tartar.
Accumulation of tartar or plaque may cause gum issues like gingivitis. Gingivitis, if left untreated, may lead to periodontitis which is a severe infection that damages the bone supporting your teeth. Gum diseases also lead to the widening of space between teeth and gums, causing tooth loss.
Even though flossing and brushing are essential, you need annual dental cleanings and routine check-ups with the dentist to ensure your teeth are thoroughly clean and healthy. Here are a few advantages of dental cleaning:
- There is a strong link between gum disease and cardiovascular disease. Getting teeth professionally cleaned biannually prevents gum diseases, thereby reducing the chances of strokes and heart attacks.
- The dentist can detect the early signs of issues like fractures and broken fillings during dental cleaning.
- A dental cleaning can remove the stains that discolor or dull your teeth. As a result, you will get a whiter and brighter smile.
- Routine dental cleaning makes it possible for your dentist to compare your current oral health condition to your prior visitations. Dental cleanings and check-ups could resolve or prevent dental problems like bad breath.
Over-the-counter teeth whitening products could damage your gum tissues. This will hurt your teeth and make them sensitive to certain drinks and foods. On the other hand, professional whitening treatments are performed and monitored by experienced experts, making the procedure more comfortable and safer. The dentist will cover portions of your mouth for protection and adjust the concentration and amount of whitening agent as per your needs. Your dentist will also tell you how to limit your tooth sensitivity and look after your teeth post-session.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction
If your wisdom tooth erupts normally and gets enough space, then they will help you chew your food. However, often patients do not have enough room in their jaw for their wisdom teeth. If allowed to grow, the wisdom teeth will push for space on the jawline, causing numerous problems.
If your wisdom teeth push other teeth, it may create crooked teeth or a jagged bite line. This could get worse if you don’t get an early extraction; if the teeth movement goes on for long, you might require braces or have to get your teeth straightened.
Sometimes the mouth could get infected as the wisdom teeth push other teeth and grow in. This forceful pressure could expose the underlying bones or gums to bacteria or irritate them. By getting your wisdom teeth extracted by a dentist, you can avoid tooth loss and tooth decay.
If you are looking for a dental clinic that offers dental treatments suitable for people of all ages, visit https://www.dentalx.ca.