While strolling through the iProducts section of CES in the North Hall, I was struck by the number of waterproof iPhone cases that were on display, with new iPhone 6’ submerged in tanks of water. I was impressed with how the designs have improved since earlier models from several years ago.
I know that waterproof iPhone cases have been around for awhile but I have not been comfortable with the idea of snorkeling in the Florida Keys or the Bahamas with my 12-megapixel iPhone camera in hand, that is until now. Thanks to the latest designs of waterproof cases I’m getting more comfortable with the idea. We gave a closer look to a couple of waterproof cases at CES.
Otter, known for it’s rugged iPhone cases has partnered with LifeProof who introduced FRĒ. FRĒ is marketed as an all environment iPhone case that is scratch proof, drop proof, dust proof, snow proof and waterproof. It provides waterproof protection, submerged up to 6.6 feet for one hour, drop protection to 6.6 feet and complete protection from sand and dirt. The waterproof iPhone 6s case meets military standards for shock and impact protection and is compatible with LifeProof’s LIFEACTÍV QuickMount accessories. FRĒ comes with a one year warranty.
LifeProof FRĒ for iPhone 6s is available now. Visit lifeproof.com for more information.
Pelican is another waterproof case maker that has been making waterproof cases for all sorts of electronics since 1976. At CES 2016 they had a number of iPhones and Samsung phones clad in their waterproof cases submerged at different depths in a tall vertical tank of water at their booth. I found that interesting since other brands of waterproof cases were on display in shallow aquarium-like tanks. Pelican says 6 ft of water for up to 30 minutes but as far as I could tell these working phones were submerged in that tank for the duration of the show. I can only assume they were removed at the end of the day for recharging and spent the entire day in the tanks.
- Pelican’s Marine waterproof case provides complete protection and continuous submersion underwater (IP68)
- Advanced shock protection, Tested to military standards (MIL-STD 810G) to survive multiple drops and impacts.
- The cases feature a non-slip grip – constructed of impact absorbing materials
- Screen protection includes a scratch resistant coated protector
- Tested to achieve a full seal design against dust and dirt
- The Pelican Marine case for the iPhone 6 and 6s will cost $79.95, while the larger iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 6s Plus version will be priced at $89.95. Available for purchase in late February.