Everyone knows that the level of earnings depends on the knowledge and skills of a person – the more you know, the more chances you have for high earnings. Today we’ll talk about how to improve your skills, replenish your knowledge in the field of IT.
There are two types of skills: soft skills and hard skills. The first is social and psychological skills that will be useful to you in most life situations: communication, leadership, team, public, and others. The second is professional knowledge and skills that you will need at work and in performing business processes. We will analyze the improvement of both the first and second types.
So, we have selected 3 ways for you, thanks to which you can develop in this:
1. Decide on your goals
Determine exactly what you want for yourself, set a clear and understandable goal for yourself. When you know what you are striving for, you know why you are working on yourself and your knowledge. Do something despite your fear, apathy, and extraneous emotions. No, this does not mean that you have to work to the point of exhaustion, because everything should be measured. Give yourself some rest, so as not to come to burnout, or, even worse, expose your health to deterioration. Take time to plan your actions and their results. Choose the skills you need to achieve your goals .. You must have interest and, as they say, fire in your eyes.
It is logical that the level of one’s knowledge can be raised by enriching the brain with knowledge. Today there are many resources for obtaining new knowledge. You can study the video on topics of interest to you in the field of IT. You can take a variety of courses to improve your qualifications. There are both paid and free courses.
You can also join reading the blog of some programmer who talks about his personal experience, possible mistakes. By joining the blog, you, in principle, will receive information that is relevant at the moment. It is very important to stay up to date with the latest events in the world of the profession you are interested in, because, imagine: you learn a certain technology, spending a lot of time, and it turns out that they already stopped working on it.
Hard-skills Skills worth improving
- execution control
- setting tasks for employees
- control over the implementation of tasks
- mentoring (employee development) – mentoring, coaching
- situational leadership and leadership
- conducting meetings
- giving feedback
- project management
- change management
3. Let’s talk about soft-skills in more detail
Personal development also affects the performance of the work done. There are qualities that you can improve in yourself, because they will help you in relationships with people, in mania to maintain a business conversation. It is important to be able to control your emotions, your state, because in any profession you will have to communicate with people, and sometimes your status at work or in a team depends on this.
The following points will be important
- listening skills
- persuasion and reasoning
- networking: building and maintaining business relationships
- producing a presentation
- basic sales skills
- public performance
- focus on results
- business letter
- customer focus
- emotion management
- stress management
- managing your own development
- planning and goal setting
- time management
- Energy / Enthusiasm / Initiative / Perseverance
- Using feedback
- systems thinking
- creative thinking
- structural thinking
- logical thinking
- Search and analysis of information
- development and decision making
- design thinking
- tactical and strategic thinking (for managers)
- Business planning
- Financial modeling
- Understanding marketing processes
- Business promotion skills
- Reputation management skills
General development rules
- Take a comprehensive approach to your own development: use different formats of development and training.
- Treat the surrounding information with curiosity: study the business processes around you, be interested in achievements in your areas of interest. Curious and inquisitive people – interesting, successful, exciting, mesmerizing, and open-minded!
- Build your skills gradually: choose exactly the areas that will really help you succeed in your work.
- Find people you want to learn from and who you would like to follow (both personally and professionally).
- Use the possibilities of organizations of alternative education in your city to the maximum: attend all events that are useful and interesting for you: masterclasses, training, seminars. Determine in advance their quality and the level of speakers.
We hope that you will highlight something important for yourself from this article. The most important thing we would like to say is: take responsibility for your own development. Do not shift the responsibility to university professors, trainers in the training center, and speakers in business incubators or anyone else. It all depends on you – on your aspiration, desire, and hard work. Try and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Bad action is better than good in action, remember. Well, we wish you good luck and success in all your endeavors.
Author’s Bio: Leon Howard is a freelance writer who creates quality and original content. He is working for the company ICOholder. He believes that creativity and improvement are things, which distinguish a good writer.