Ingenious gadgets get my attention—the Reserve Strap is one of those gadgets. The first and currently the only Apple Watch band that charges the Apple Watch, while you wear it. Extending the Apple Watch battery life by up to 30 hours while not affecting the natural beauty of the Apple Watch is an impressive accomplishment.
I can imagine that one of the major challenges would have been staying within Apple’s Band Design Guidelines, with it’s list of “must”, “shall”, “required” or “ must not”, “shall not” or “prohibited” requirements. The result is an elegant accessory that uses the 6 pin accessory port to charge the Apple Watch on the go. Reserve Strap demonstrates how the conductive method they use produces a faster charge than Apple’s inductive charging method.
On those long days or when traveling, whenever it simply is not convenient to charge a device this accessory already falls into my “Must Have” column. An additional 30 hours means a total of 48 hours of battery life when you combine Apples 18 hours with the strap’s 30. So I guess my Apple Watch can make that camping trip after all.
With the final design and shipping date established, the Reserve Strap is good-to-go for it’s announced release on November 3, 2015. The price will be $249.99. Less expensive alternatives will likely show up eventually, just remember, “you get what you pay for.”
- The Reserve Strap comes in Black, White and Grey
- 38mm or 44mm sizes are available
- Fits wrists sizes 130 – 210 mm
- Water resistant.
Reserve Strap recharges via Micro USB and initiates Apple Watch charging with one touch.
Features of the Reserve Strap Include:
- Extends battery life of Apple Watch by a factor of 2.7x or in other words, adds 167% more usage*
- Specialized Thermoset Elastomer Silicone band
- Proprietary Overmolded Accessory Port Connector
- Adheres to Apple’s Official Band Design Guidelines
- Embedded Lithium Polymer cells
- Micro USB Charging Port
- LED charge status indicator
- One-touch charge initiator
- Water Resistant
- Supports either 38mm or 42mm Apple Watches
- Fits wrist sizes from 130-210mm
- White, Grey or Black colors
*Both sizes of the Reserve Strap provide an additional 30 hours of power. So if you normally achieve Apple’s rated 18 hours of Apple Watch functionality, you can now expect to receive a total of 48 hours of functionality.
Get all the details at the Reserve Strap website.