PP is a new jailbreaking app for Mac OS X that acts as the direct alternative to TaiG tool for jailbreaking any iOS device on iOS 8.1.2.
The vast majority of iOS device owners have been able to easily jailbreak iOS 8 on Windows for several weeks now, using a tool ‘TaiG’ developed by Chinese developers. Those of you looking to jailbreak iOS 8 on Mac OS X instead have been anxiously waiting for TaiG for OS X, but that has yet to happen.
Until TaiG for OS X comes along, there is an excellent alternative you can use instead. It goes by the name of ‘PP’, and it allows you to jailbreak iOS 8.1.2 on Mac OS X. Of course, if for some reason you have no upgraded to the latest version of iOS 8, you can jailbreak iOS 8.0, 8.1, and all 8.0.x or 8.1.x versions with ease.
The use of ‘ease’ is highly debatable here, because PP’s user interface language is Chinese. We made an original post showing annotated English translated screenshots for TaiG sometime ago; we intend to make a similar post for PP jailbreak for OS X, too, in the near future.
We strongly recommend waiting a couple of weeks before you use this app to jailbreak your iOS device. The first and most important reason is to let the active jailbreak community take a look at how it works, and if it is safe. The second, but less important reason is to let the tool itself stabilize; version 1.0 of any software is bound to have some bugs that receive attention as the developer gets more time to work on the tool.
With that out of the way, here’s you can jailbreak:
- Download PP jailbreak [Official Website]
- Open the DMG file you downloaded in Step 1. This will mount it as a volume.
- Drag and drop the PP越狱.app to the Applications folder
- Double click to launch PP越狱.app from the Applications folder
- Disable Find My iPhone, and system passcode on your iPhone or iPad
- Enable Airplane Mode
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac using a USB cable
- You will see a pp checkbox in the bottom left corner. Unmark it.
- Once all this is done, and PP recognize’s your device: click the main button in the middle to jailbreak your iOS device
- Click the button in the bottom right corner on the succeeding page
Let PP越狱 do its work. It will take a few moments for the jailbreaking process to complete. Grab a coffee or something.
Once PP has done its job, you will see a green tick. Your device will then restart one final time.
That’s it! Your device is now jailbroken using (PP on) OS X as the host. Open up Cydia and enjoy a whole new world of jailbreak tweaks, and apps you will not find elsewhere (that is to say: the iTunes App Store).