When one person in your house is unwell, it can be stressful for you and other family members. By preventing diseases in your home, everyone will be healthy and happy. One way to keep your family in good shape is by taking care of their immunity. With this, you reduce the risk of illnesses in your home and save money on medical expenses.
You could do several things to improve your loved ones’ immunity. Research is essential to protect your family against influenza (flu) virus, especially during the cold season. A medical professional or a reliable health website could provide helpful tips. In most cases, they state and encourage the importance of getting vaccinated, ensuring everyone in your household gets a shot and practicing proper hygiene.
You can help your family avoid many other illnesses by keeping their immunity strong. Below are three ways:
1. Exercise Together
Regular exercise can be beneficial to a great extent. One way is by strengthening the immune system. Here’s how:
- Encourages Rapid Circulation Of Antibodies: Physical activity encourages the circulation of white blood cells (WBCs) throughout the body. These WBCs will produce antibodies that can detect and deal with disease-causing pathogens early. If there are any already in the body, the antibodies will fight them, keeping one safe from infections and other illnesses.
- Boosts Mental Health: Exercising can help boost mental health by encouraging the body to release happy hormones like endorphins and serotonin. These act as mood enhancers that lower the risk of illnesses caused by stress. These diseases may include depression, obesity, insomnia, heart problems, and high blood sugar.
- Causes Rise In Body Temperature: Physical activity encourages a temperature rise in the body while and after working out. This helps prevent bacteria growth and enables the body to deal with any present infections better.
As shown above, exercising can help you and your loved ones maintain strong immunity. So, it’s best to encourage your family to stay active. It also helps to set an example. Set aside at least half an hour of exercising with your family daily. Find fun activities that everyone will enjoy. You can take walks, swim, hike, and go bike riding.
2. Eat Healthy Foods
Healthy meals can enhance your family’s immunity. Ensure your loved ones have more vegetables, fruits, and other beneficial foods. These strengthen the immune system by providing and replenishing helpful nutrients. Here are some examples:
- Carrots and sweet potatoes provide beta-carotene believed to fight infections.
- Cauliflower has sulforaphane that can help prevent some cancers.
- Probiotics have live microorganisms that can help balance gut bacteria.
- Citrus fruits provide Vitamin C believed to increase the production of white blood cells.
- Spinach has beta-carotene, Vitamin C, and antioxidants which can help the immune system protect the body against infections.
- Turkey, chicken, fish, nuts, beef, and bananas provide Vitamin B6, which may help the immune system’s performance. It also aids in creating neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and other mood enhancers.
- Whole grains provide zinc, which may be good for wound healing and improving the function of immune cells.
Several other beneficial foods can improve the immune system of your loved ones. Consult your family doctor or a dietitian. They can help you create a healthy meal plan based on the needs and health of your loved ones.
3. Encourage Getting Enough Sleep
Not getting enough sleep could prevent the immune system from producing cytokines. The body may not be able to deal with inflammation and infections effectively if these proteins decrease.
Quality sleep may also enable the body to produce T-cells. It’s believed that these are essential for fighting intercellular pathogens like cancer, bacteria, and virus-infected cells. Additionally, it’s believed that adequate and quality sleep reduces the risk of illnesses like heart disease, obesity, depression, and diabetes.
It would help to encourage your family to get enough slumber every day. However, note that the recommended sleep duration varies for different age groups. For instance, teenagers from 14 to 17 years should get eight to 10 hours of sleep. For those aged 18 to 64, seven to nine hours is advisable. Younger children may need as much as 13 hours of sleep.
If your kids aren’t sleeping well at night, napping during the day helps. It’s also best to encourage other habits for quality slumber, like not taking caffeine or using smartphones and other gadgets some hours before bedtime.
Additionally, relaxing your whole body, reading a book, and meditating are good for sleep. Exercising in the early evening can also help because physical activity will make one feel exhausted. This way, it’s easier to fall asleep faster and deeper.
Strengthening your loved ones’ immunity ensures everyone is healthy and happy. In this article, you’ve learned that you can improve your family’s immunity by exercising together, providing healthy meals, and getting enough sleep.
If anyone is getting sick more often despite implementing these tips, it’s best to see a doctor. They will determine the underlying cause of the issue and provide suitable treatment.