Most cooks find cooking candies off-putting, and if you do not, then we should already tell you that it requires a lot of work, skill, right tools, and patience to cook candies. Yes!! It is so much work to do, but once you get ready to take the plunge, you end up receiving a delicious reward.
If you have a thing for nougat, then this article will serve you well. Here, we will take you on the run down to the recipe for honey almond nougat candy.
Before we jump onto the recipe, let’s talk a bit about nougat. Nougat is a candy that is made from a mixture of whipped egg whites and sugar syrup (boiled). The candy is aerated and looks more like a marshmallow. The candy usually contains roasted nuts like hazelnut, almond, pistachio, etc. Although you can get a nougat online, cooking one at home is an altogether different experience.
Now, let’s move on and have a look at the recipe to make honey almond nougat candy at home. This recipe requires proper timings, so make sure that you read the instructions correctly and keep all the required ingredients ready before you start cooking.
List of ingredients
- Water- ¼ cup
- Honey– ½ cup
- Sugar– 2 cups
- Salt- ¼ tbsp
- Egg whites- 2
- Vanilla extract- 2 tbsp
- Soft butter- ¼ cup
- Light corn syrup- 1 cup
- Almond- ¾ cup
- Pistachio- ¾ cup
- Hazelnut- ¾ cup
- Almond extract- 1 tbsp
Steps to follow to make Almond Honey Nougat
1. Line the bottom of a pan by using edible rice paper.
2. Make corn syrup, honey, water, and sugar in a big pan at medium heat. Stir the mixture until the mixture starts dissolving. Take a pastry brush and then wipe down the sides of the pan to avoid the formation of the crystals.
3. Insert the candy thermometer and keep cooking the syrup without stirring the mixture until the thermometer reaches a temperature reaches 252.
4. When the syrup is about to hit a proper temperature, start beating egg whites and form a stiff peak.
5. Once the syrup reaches a temperature of 252, remove 1/4th cup of the syrup and heat the remaining syrup. Run the mixture and pour the hot ¼ cup of the syrup in a thin stream into a mixture of beaten egg whites. Start beating the eggs again at high speed until you see firm peaks.
6. While your egg whites are beaten, continue to cook the syrup till you see the temperature rising to 315. Monitor the syrup because it can quickly get overheated and might even burn until the end of the process of cooking.
7. Once you notice the temperature of the syrup rising to 315, stop heating the pan. Now, pour the syrup into the mixture of beaten egg whites and beat the mixture for about 5 minutes.
8. Stop mixing the mixture and mix almond extract, vanilla extract, salt, and butter. Now, turn on the mixer for five more minutes. Now, stir the nuts by your hands in the mixture.
9. Pour the Italian soft nougat in a pan. Use a spatula with non-stick cooking oil and smooth the top of the nougat. Cover the top with a rice paper sheet. Now, place another pan of the nougat and press it with some heavy object to let it weigh down.
10. Now that you are ready to cut the soft nougat spray the cutter with non-stick oil and run in properly on all the edges of the pan to let the candy loose.
11. Take the nougat out of the pan and place it on a cutting board. Cut the nougat into small pieces or in as much size as you want them.
Viola!! And that’s how you roll. Either serve the nougat right away or store the same in an airtight container at room temperature. To ensure that the sides of the nougat do not stick together, ensure that you use waxed paper.
The Final Say
Almond honey nougat is a delicious candy made of honey and almonds. It is somewhere similar to the actual classic nougat, and with the steps mentioned above, you can quickly cook it in the comfort of your home.
So, what is holding you back? Get all the ingredients together and start baking the tasty candies and surprise your taste buds.
Also, once you are done baking the candies, do tell us how it turned out in the comment section below.
Spoiler Alert – An Enterprise System That Minimizes Food Waste