What is an SD card?
An SD card or a Security Digital card is a small memory card that stores additional amounts of information for you. It is mostly used in mobile devices such as smartphones and cameras. You can store all your documents, pictures, songs, videos, etc., on an SD card.
To fix a corrupted memory card, according to Kaushal malkan, you must first need to know if the memory card is corrupted or not. So, how would you know if your SD card is damaged or not? Don’t worry; we got you! Below are some symptoms of a corrupted and damaged SD card:-
- Your SD card is damaged when the photos which were stored in the SD card are missing.
- When you are using your SD card on a PC, and it is recognizable appropriately, it brings the warning “SD card isn’t formatted. Do you want to format it now?”. Your SD/Memory card is corrupted.
- If your memory card does not let you add, transfer, delete, or save anything, you know that it is damaged or corrupted.
- Another error information on your system could be “Read/Write error on SD card,” Thus, no folder in the SD card opens. This indicates that the system is not able to read your memory card.
- If you see a black screen on your device that gives an error message, which shows, “SD card is not accessible. The file/directory is corrupted and unreadable”. Your SD card is corrupted.
If not handled properly, SD cards can get damaged or corrupted. Our life revolves around technology, so seeing a corrupted SD card is bad news. SD card stores all our important files and documents; therefore, we must know how to fix it to retrieve the files.
So now you know the symptoms of a corrupted SD card. Therefore, it’s time for you to see the solution to fix your SD card too! Given below are some methods by which you can improve your corrupted SD card.
Repair corrupt SD card using the Command Prompt
- Firstly, attach your SD card to your computer. After that, enter the drive letter of your SD card.
- You will be required to open the command prompt window. To do this, click on the Start menu and type “cmd” in the search bar. Right-click on the “”cmd”” and then choose the “”Run as administrator”” option.
- The command window will open immediately where you will have to type in the following command – “chkdsk #: /f.”
- Once you are finished, click on the Enter key, and this will begin to scan for the possible errors and repair your corrupted SD card. If you see this notification, “Windows has made corrections to the file system,” everything went well then, and the problem is solved.
The chkdsk command examines the damaged memory/SD card, checks for the problems, and repairs the corrupt SD card. When the scanning process is complete, connect your memory card to the computer. Now see if the “SD card is damaged” problem has been fixed or not.
Disable the SD card
- Connect the damaged/corrupted memory card to your computer
- Go to “Device Manager.”
- Right-click on the memory card and select “Disable.”
- Wait for a few minutes and then click on “Enable.”
- Finally, restart your computer.
Assign a new drive letter
After you have connected the memory card to your PC, follow the steps given below:
- Open Disk Management
- Locate the SD card
- Right-click on the SD card
- Select “Change Drive Letter and Paths.”
- After applying the changes, restart your system and connect the SD card again
Fix SD Card/USB Drive Using Windows Repair Tool
- Click on MY COMPUTER or THIS PC
- Right-click on your SD card and select Properties.
- Click on Tools and select the ‘Check’ option.
- Click Scan and repair drive.
Fix SD Card by Formatting a RAW SD card to FAT32
- Connect the memory card to your computer.
- Type “cmd” in the search box on the taskbar and select Run as administrator.
- Type diskpart and click Enter on your keyboard.
- Type list volume and press Enter.
- Type select volume and press Enter.
- Type format fs=fat32 and hit Enter.
By reinstalling the SD Card Driver
If your SD card is still corrupted, here is the next solution. It would be best if you tried reinstalling the SD card driver because maybe the system cannot detect the SD card due to the corrupted drivers. So to fix the damaged memory card, follow the steps given below:
- On your desktop, right-click on the “This PC” option and select the “Manage” option.
- Click on “Device Manager” given on the left side of the screen.
- Double click on the “Disk Drives” option. Finally, right-click on the removable drive’s name.
- Tap on “”Uninstall”” followed by “”OK””.
- You will be able to disconnect the SD card now and restart your system.
- Plugin SD card once again, and the computer will detect it.
I hope this article helped you in identifying a damaged SD card. And if it is, then we hope you will be able to solve it through this article. Lastly, make sure that you select the right memory card for your device. SD cards are delicate and need to be protected to store your data for the long term, so be careful and handle it properly.