A proxy server is a router that offers a gateway between the internet and users. So, it prevents cyber-attacks by protecting your data during a connection. This is a server called an intermediary as it goes between web pages and the end-user while browsing online.
When you connect your computer to the internet, it will use an IP address. This works like a street address that tells incoming data where to go. Also, it marks outgoing data with an address to allow other devices to authenticate. A proxy is a computer that includes its IP address.
How Proxy Servers Improve Network Security
Datacenter proxies create a security layer for the computer. You can set up a proxy as a firewall or web filter. This protects your device from malware and other internet threats. The extra security is also important when coupled with the secure web gateway.
A proxy makes it easy to filter connections to leave an amount of traffic your computer can handle. You can use a proxy in many ways, including hiding your location while streaming movies online. For a company, a proxy helps you improve security. It secures internet activity and balances traffic to prevent crashes. Some people also use proxy for the sake of their business. It’s important to mention that, Entrepreneurs look for the best proxies for copping sneakers.
How a Proxy Works
Because the proxy server offers its IP address, it serves as a bridge between the internet and a computer. A computer knows the address, and when you send requests online, data goes through the proxy.
The server receives the response and forwards the information to the computer browser. The proxy server offers access to the targeted site to collect information. It forwards this information to the user through a secure layer.
Types of Proxy Servers
1. Anonymous Proxy: Anonymous proxy is the most familiar proxy server. You can use it to hide your original IP address. It passes anonymous IP addresses to the server when making a request. By doing this, the end-user receiving your request cannot tell your location.
Many people use a proxy for anonymity. A proxy prevents identity theft and helps to keep your browsing habits private.
2. High Anonymity Proxy: These are the types of servers that change IP addresses many times. The proxy makes it difficult for web servers to track the IP addresses. An example of this is the TOR Network, which offers a high anonymity proxy server. Using a high anonymity server offers advantages in security and privacy.
3. Transparent Proxy Server: The server passes your IP address to a web server. This is ideal for resource sharing and is common in public libraries to filter content. For example, the server can cache the content and serve you your next request from the cache.
4. Reverse Proxy: Like a virtual private network (VPN), the goal is to not only offer protection. It helps to stop other people on the internet from accessing your network. The application of this proxy is protecting data and resources on individual computers. It stops third-party access on computers.
Why You Should Use a Proxy Server
Beyond privacy and security, there are many reasons you should use a proxy server.
- Control Internet Usage: Organizations can use proxy servers to track internet use. Some organizations don’t want you to access some websites. So, you’re redirected with a note asking you to stop looking at the prohibited sites on the company internet.
Also, you can use the network to log web requests, so it’s easy to know how much time a user spends on a network.
- Improved Speeds and Bandwidth Savings: You can also get an improved network with a proxy. Through the proxy, you can cache popular sites. So, whenever you ask for the information, the proxy server checks to know if there’s a recent copy. It then sends you the saved copy.
This means when many people visit the same site at the same time, the proxy server only needs to send one request.
- Privacy Benefits: Organizations and individuals use proxy servers to ensure more privacy. Some proxy servers change IP and mask identifying information in your web request. So, the destination server cannot know who made the original request.
This helps to keep personal information and your browsing habits more.
- Improved Security: You also get security benefits with a proxy server. It’s easy to configure a proxy server so it encrypts web requests. Prying eyes cannot read your transactions in this setup.
Also, you can prevent malware sites from accessing the server. When using the proxy, an organization can verify and control user access to resources.
- Access Blocked Resources: A proxy server allows you to circumvent content restrictions. To explore a show available in a different country on Netflix, you only need to use a proxy to switch your IP address. The server makes it look like you’re based in the country shown on your IP address. This means you can enjoy an uncensored experience on the internet.
You can access the internet to receive or send encrypted data. You should use a proxy server in combination with a VPN. For the organization that needs to allow users to browse in privacy, a proxy server is a good choice. This is the ideal option if you want to know the websites your team members are using.
This is suitable for a business if you need a secure data transmission network. Yet, for a single user, a proxy server is ideal. You can use a proxy server and other protections at the same time. This is ideal if you prefer to limit the site users in your network.
If you’re looking for protection against hackers, then a VPN would be the better option.
A proxy server is one of the best ways to protect yourself on the internet. Proxies offer an intermediary for the internet and a computer. When you send a request, it’s routed through the proxy. Some of the benefits of proxy servers include private browsing and enhanced security.
Also, you can use proxy servers to prevent employees from accessing inappropriate sites. Besides, you can use proxy servers to access blocked resources.