News

Google Diversity Statistics Show Slow Progress

Diversity

Google Diversity

Tech giants Facebook, Google and Microsoft are aiming to diversify their task force. Google has released its latest diversity statistics which show that the company is slowly moving towards its goal to diversify its workforce. For the first time, the statistics show the intake of Blacks and Hispanics by the company.

The company is steadily moving towards its goal to make a more inclusive workplace. However, the number of white male employees remains considerably high.

According to the statistics, 69% of the employees working at google are male while the remaining 31% are female. There has only been 1% increase in the number of female employees working at Google since last year. Out of these 31% women, only 19 % women hold technical jobs while 81% are still held by males. This marks an increase of 1% compared to last year. 24% of the leadership positions are now held by women as compared to 22% last year.

Google has also progressed further in terms of ethnicity. The tech giant currently has 59% white, 32% Asian, 3% Hispanic, and 2% black employees. However, 70% of the leadership positions and 57% of the tech positions are still held by white employees.

Google’s vice president of people operations Nancy Lee said, “We saw encouraging signs of progress in 2015, but we’re still far from where we need to be.”

Google has also emphasized that it is hiring more Hispanic and black employees although the overall demographics do not show much change. According to the tech giant, 4% of the new hires in 2015 were black and 5% were Hispanic. However, only 2% of the total employees are black and 3% are Hispanic.

In 2015, the tech giant said it will spend $150 million to promote diversity. Google CEO Sundar Pichai said, “A diverse mix of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.”

Previous ArticleNext Article