The high price of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max never deters fans’ passion for them. The largest display, faster Face ID, the smartest, most powerful chip and a breakthrough dual-camera system make iPhone XS still an excellent choice.
If you just got a new iPhone XS, or lost data after the latest iOS 12.1.4 update, you would need to have your iPhone restored. Apple offers two ways to do the restore job. Here the guide will show you detailed steps to restore iPhone XS from iTunes and iCloud backup. To keep the existing data on your iPhone safe, three more no-data-loss ways will be introduced here as well.
1. How to Restore iPhone XS/XS Max from iTunes Backup
Before starting, first make sure you have made an iTunes backup and the backup includes the data you need. Then you ought to know that all the current data on your iPhone XS will be replaced by the backup content.
1. On the computer, launch iTunes and connect your iPhone XS to the computer via USB cables.
2. Click on the phone-shaped icon when it shows in iTunes and then the “Restore Backup” option.
3. Pick the most relevant iTunes backup according to the backup data and size.
4. Hit the “Restore” button and wait for the restore time to finish.
2. How to Restore iPhone XS/XS Max from iTunes Backup without Data Erasing
As mentioned earlier, restoring the iPhone from iTunes backup will inevitably erase the current data on the iPhone. If this is not your expectation, you can draw support from the professional iPhone data recovery application – PhoneRescue.
It helps you locate the iTunes backup and view all the inside files and data. Then you are allowed to extract what you need from backup to your iPhone XS. Check how it works below:
1. Free download PhoneRescue on the computer. Install and launch it.
2. Connect your iPhone XS to the computer via a USB cable. Choose Recover from iTunes Backup mode and click the right arrow icon.
3. Choose the backup contains the files you want to restore and click Right Arrow > Check the file categories you prefer > Click OK button to scan the backup files.
4. Preview and select the data you want to restore > Click To iOS Device button to restore the selected files to the iPhone XS now.
3. How to Restore iPhone XS/XS Max from iCloud Backup
Please be sure that restoring iPhone XS from iCloud requires you to erase all existing data. Also, make sure the files you want to restore are contained in the backup.
1. On iPhone, open Settings app. Go to General > Reset to tap the “Erase All Content and Settings” option.
2. Reach the Apps & Data screen and tap “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
3. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID.
4. Select the iCloud backup contains the data you need and then wait for the restore to end.
4. How to Restore iPhone XS/XS Max from iCloud Backup without Data Erasing
To keep the existing data on your iPhone XS safe while restoring it from iCloud backup, you might need PhoneRescue as well.
It enables you to preview the iCloud backup files and select what you really need to restore, instead of a full backup restore. Check the detailed steps now:
1. On your computer, open PhoneRescue and plug in your iPhone with a USB cable.
2. Choose Recover from iCloud mode > Click Right Arrow on the bottom right corner to enter the next page.
3. Type in your Apple ID and password > Click Right Arrow to proceed > Choose the iCloud Backup option.
4. Choose the backup contains the files you prefer and click Download > Choose the data categories you would like to restore, then click OK to download the backup.
5. Preview and select the files you want to restore > Click To iOS Device restore them to your iPhone XS now.
5. How to Restore iPhone XS/XS Max without Backup
In case you have no available backup to use, the last solution will lend a hand. PhoneRescue allows you to directly restore files from iPhone without any backup. Read to know how it works here:
1. Run PhoneRescue for iOS on the computer and connect with your iPhone.
2. Choose Recover from iOS Device mode > Click Right Arrow on the bottom right to proceed.
3. Check the file categories you want to restore to your iPhone XS > Click OK to start the scanning process.
4. Preview and select the files you want to restore > Click To iOS Device button to get them back to iPhone’s correspond App.
In conclusion, if your iPhone XS is brand new and you have available iTunes or iCloud backup, we suggest you restoring iPhone from backup. If there have been quite much data on your iPhone XS already, PhoneRescue proves to be a more ideal option to restore iPhone without data loss. Besides, the tool allows you to choose what you really want to restore. For example, you can retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone selectively, many other important file types, like photos, contacts, notes, etc. are also included.
More on this topic: How To Restore Mac Data When Your Backup Drive Fails