Keyboards, widgets, and custom actions form the trifecta of major winning features in iOS 8. We have discussed a handful of excellent widgets in iOS 8, and in each blog post we always end up discussing how to add those widgets. So, to make things easier for our esteemed readers and for our writers, I’m publishing a short tutorial on how to add widgets in iOS 8 that we can refer to in subsequent posts about widgets.
To get started, download a widget from the iTunes App Store. We’ve linked to two of them above, but there are dozens more available. Once you have installed an app that comes with a widget, follow the following steps:
- Open Notification Center by swiping down from the top the screen
- Swipe right to go into the ‘Today’ view
- Scroll down a wee bit, and tap on ‘Edit’
- You will see a list of installed / available widgets.
- Tap on the circular, green ‘+’ icon to add the widget to your Today view.
- Now, you can tap and hold on the three horizontal lines to the right of each activated widget to re-order how it is displayed in your Today view.
- Voila! Tap on ‘Done’ in the top right corner, and you will see your added widgets in the ‘Today’ section of the Notification Center.
I am currently using Forecast+, ESPN SportsCenter (since I do follow football), and Hours (to keep track of time when working on design projects) in my Notification Center.
We will be covering more useful widgets in iOS 8 as we come across them so stay tuned to CupertinoTimes! There is a bit of a dearth at the moment, but we expect a lot more in the coming weeks.